The Greek word doula means woman caregiver.
A birth doula….
- Recognizes birth as a key life experience that the mother will remember all her life.
- Understands the physiology of birth and the emotional needs of a woman in labour.
- Assists the woman and her partner in preparing for and carrying out their plans for the birth.
- Stays by the side of the labouring woman throughout the entire labour.
- Provides emotional support, physical comfort measures, an objective viewpoint, and assistance to the woman in getting the information she needs to make good decisions.
- Facilitates communication between the labouring woman, her partner, and clinical care providers.
- Perceives her role as one who nurtures and protects the woman’s memory of her birth experience.